Sunday, July 13, 2014

Constantine's Liv: Mary Sue?


"Mary Sue"
A character too perfect for their setting. Most often, this character is talented and attractive, and anyone who doesn't adore them is portrayed as mean, stupid, or evil. It's common for them to be the smartest, even if this requires everyone else to act stupider than they should. Out of place but awesome names are also frequent occurrences. They lead charmed lives, and any conflict or drama they are met with will be either overdone to the point of headache induction, or easily brushed aside.
source: urbandictionary.com
So when I read the basic plot for the new CW show, Constantine, I cringed. It was about a man named John Constantine, who protected Liv, the daughter of an old friend, as she figured out her powers and the world of the supernatural.
It's not a horrible plot, definitely not the worst I have ever heard, but pause for a moment. Does anyone else get the feeling that this show will basically be about this rugged, older man protecting this young, helpless and frail girl? Honestly, that's the only feeling I get, and I do not like it at all.
For the most part, in our society, girls play this role. They're the damsel in distress, the helpless one. The man sweeps in and saves her, and they live happily ever after. Right? Wrong.
What troubles me is that Liv actually does have the potential to be a good character. Perhaps not the most likable, but I think she'd do well on the show. The entire "girl is thrust into new world, has to adapt" premise is good with me, it's just the fact that they made Liv seem like a helpless little girl that I don't like.
A lot of girls in television and movies are portrayed like this. They have no real character, no motivations of their own, and no faults. Girls in real life aren't like that at all. It just gets me wondering why writers would still insist on portraying girls, who obviously could be alright if a few tweaks were made to their character, like this.
Either way, they thankfully changed the plot of the show. It now features a woman named Zed, who is supposed to basically fill the "femme fatale" role, as I take it. In the actual comics, she was a woman who possessed several psychic powers. She and Constantine had a romantic thing going on, which makes also me wonder. Did they change the plot because they wanted romantic tension in the first season, but couldn't do it with Liv without freaking the audience out?
I'll leave you with that question. In the end though, I'm glad they made the decision to change it, although I do hope they eventually bring Liv back into the plot. The key to Liv is starting her out as a Mary-Sue (because they can't change the character too much from the comic book), then making her a stronger, rougher person due to her experiences.
-Luce

No comments:

Post a Comment